CBD oil is one of the most powerful and versatile medicines on the planet. Not only is it extremely useful for fighting a wide range of conditions, but it can do so without causing addiction and dependency. CBD oil can be used for treating all of the following:
- Depression and anxiety
- Cognitive decline and conditions like Alzheimer’s
- Various painful conditions like arthritis
- Problems with appetite and digestion
These are just a few of the things that CBD is used for. However, recent research has suggested that one can actually use CBD oil for allergies. In this article, we’re going to outline the potential benefits that CBD could have on seasonal allergies, food allergies, and other types of allergies.
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD oil is an oil that’s extracted from the cannabis flower or the hemp plant. CBD, or cannabidiol, is a powerful medicinal compound that can have far-reaching benefits when used for treating a huge variety of medical problems.
CBD is important to the medical community for a number of reasons.
- It doesn’t cause addiction and dependency. Many drugs that are commonly prescribed for anxiety (like Xanax or Ativan) or pain (such as morphine) are notoriously addictive and can cause serious dependency issues. Some anxiety medications can be so addictive that patients die during the withdrawal period.
- It’s a natural medicine. Recent research and trends are revealing that natural medicine is not only often as effective as pharmaceutical medicine but generally much safer and more sustainable.
- It is non-intoxicating. Many commonly prescribed drugs are quite intoxicating and can make it difficult to function at work or school. Lots of drugs impair a person beyond the point that they can drive. While CBD might make a person a bit drowsy in higher doses, it’s certainly not as debilitating as many other types of medication.
This powerful oil has been used for treating a huge number of conditions and has begun to change the entire foundation of the medical industry. People are finally beginning to see that there are substances available that can treat their problems without making them sick, causing side effects, or getting them intoxicated. We wrote a full article about CBD’s many health benefits here.
A Little Bit About Allergies
Before we delve into the details about how CBD can be useful for treating allergies, it’s important that we explain a bit about allergies. There are several types of allergies. People can be allergic to different things:
- Dust mites
- Insect bites or spider bites
- Pet fur
Hay fever is also a type of allergy. Despite the various things that can lead to allergies, symptoms are generally the same. Common allergy symptoms include:
- Itching of the skin and the eyes
- Reddening or watering of the eyes
- Runny nose and sniffling
- Hives or rashes appearing on the skin
- Swelling of the skin (especially when bitten by a bug)
These issues can vary in severity depending on how allergic a person is. Anaphylaxis is the most serious reaction to allergies, and can result in the closing of the throat, vomiting, lightheadedness and death. In the case of anaphylaxis, seek medical help immediately. CBD will not reverse anaphylaxis.
The reason that symptoms are similar among different types of allergies is because these symptoms are all caused by the release of histamine. Histamine is an important neurotransmitter that’s involved in various immune functions, as well as the regulation of inflammation. However, when we’re allergic to something, the body releases too much histamine which leads to these symptoms.
Why Is CBD Oil Good for Allergies?
The most commonly used medications for treating mild-to-moderate allergies are known as antihistamines. They work by preventing the body from releasing histamine, thus preventing the emergence of most of the symptoms associated with allergies.
However, antihistamines are known for their notorious side effects. Many of them cause severe sedation and can make it impossible to stay awake, let alone drive a motor vehicle or get to work. They also inhibit the brain from making use of acetylcholine, the main neurotransmitter responsible for memory formation and logic. This can cause problems like brain fog and confusion.
Researchers have known for some time that CBD is useful for helping to manage asthma and COPD, two respiratory problems that can be quite debilitating. This is because CBD is known to act as a bronchodilator, and actually expand the airways in the lungs.
This alone is very useful for helping to manage symptoms of allergies, which can make it difficult to breathe. However, there is an even better reason for using CBD oil for seasonal allergies, food allergies and skin allergies.
This is because CBD oil has been proven to help inhibit and control the body’s production of what are known as mast cells. Mast cells are a certain type of white blood cell. White blood cells are tasked with defending the body as part of the immune system, and they’re involved in helping to single out pathogens.
When mast cells detect an allergen, they produce a whole bunch of histamine. This leads to the classic itchy, sneezy, sniffly side effects that we associate with allergies.
There are a few other things that make CBD useful for treating allergies, as well:
- CBD helps to reduce inflammation. Allergies can cause inflammation in the respiratory tract and other areas. Using CBD oil for skin allergies is particularly effective because you can apply it directly to the area that’s being affected.
- CBD oil helps to relieve pressure in the nose and the sinuses, making it easier to breathe and easier to expel any mucus that’s stored in these areas.
- CBD oil is great for helping to manage pain, which can be a problem with people suffering from allergies, especially if they are suffering from another condition.
- CBD oil can be useful for helping to manage anxiety and stress. Studies have shown that we produce more histamine when we are stressed, and thus CBD can be instrumental in helping us lower histamine levels.
- CBD is great for helping promote relaxation and sleep. The symptoms can’t bother you if you’re asleep, can they?
Using CBD Oil for Allergies
There are a number of different ways that CBD can be used, which contributes to its versatility as a medicine. Some of the best ways to use CBD for allergies are:
- Orally or sublingually. Tinctures can be taken sublingually under the tongue, where they are absorbed immediately into the bloodstream. Capsules can also be broken apart and taken under the tongue. This is about 3-4x more effective than swallowing them because much of the CBD is destroyed before it can be absorbed.
- Topically. You can get CBD lotions and even CBD roll ons that allow you to apply CBD directly to the skin. This is particularly useful when you are suffering from hives. However, applying CBD to the chest and throat can help to open up the airways.
It’s generally not recommended to smoke or vaporize your CBD if you’re suffering from allergies because this could further irritate the lungs and the nasal passageways, making your symptoms worse.
CBD is one of the most versatile medicines available today. Not only can it be used to treat chronic problems and illnesses, but it can be used for treating acute problems like allergies.
Not only does CBD help to eliminate symptoms, but it actually helps to regulate the body’s production of the compounds that cause allergies in the first place. This makes it ideal for helping to beat allergies at their root.