CBD has become one of the most popular medicines in recent years, and for good reason. CBD is useful for treating a huge number of ailments, ranging from physical problems like arthritis to mental health problems like depression and anxiety.
One of the coolest things about CBD is the fact that it can be made into gummies and edibles. This means that medicating yourself can not only be safe and healthy, but delicious as well.
Today we hope to provide a complete guide to the benefits, uses, and precautions one should take when using a novel form of medication: CBD gummies.
What is CBD?
CBD, also known as cannabidiol, is a powerful cannabinoid that is naturally a part of the cannabis and hemp plants. In its extracted from, it is used as medicine and can be helpful for treating a wide range of ailments. CBD and its various forms can be useful for treating:
- Physical ailments and chronic conditions. It can be used to fight inflammation and the related problems, like arthritis. It can help treat digestive issues like IBS and Crohn’s. It can even be used to treat neuropathic pain from conditions like Parkinson’s.
- Mental problems. CBD has shown remarkable potential for treating depression and anxiety, and can even be useful for helping people manage problems like PTSD and psychosis.
These are just a few of the things that CBD can be useful for treating. However, as more and more research is done and more people experiment with CBD, it becomes apparent that it can be useful for conditions that we haven’t even considered yet.
CBD works by helping to regulate the body’s endocannabinoid system. The endocannabinoid system, or ECS, is one of the largest neurotransmitter systems in our body and it impacts a number of our bodily functions. Some researchers have labeled it an ‘emergency system,’ in the sense that it becomes activated whenever there is something bad going on in our body.
Unfortunately, because of the society and the world that we live in, the majority of us have at least some imbalance in our ECS. Research has shown that a huge number of problems, such as IBS and anxiety, can emerge when someone has an imbalance in their ECS. A number of things can cause this, including:
- Living a sedentary lifestyle. Exercise is important for maintaining all aspects of our physical and mental health.
- Pollution. Inhaling polluted air all the time can cause a number of problems, including throwing off the ECS.
- Drug and alcohol consumption, including smoking tobacco, can all have an adverse effect on the ECS.
- Constant stress can also cause the ECS to become unbalanced.
These are all fairly common problems, so it’s no wonder that so many people are affected by problems of the ECS. On the flip side of this coin, however, that means that many people are able to receive benefit by using CBD.
Why Use It? What Are The Benefits of CBD?
We wrote about this in depth in our article called 15 Science Backed Benefits of CBD Oil. But here are the highlights
There are a number of reasons that CBD is more attractive than more conventional medicines. Many meds that are prescribed by doctors are known to have a number of unpleasant side effects. In fact, in the case of some powerful medications – antipsychotics, for example, or certain antidepressants – the side effects can actually overshadow the benefits!
CBD is ideal because it’s not known for causing any serious side effects. The most apparent side effect in most cases is that CBD will make someone a bit sleepy if they take too much.
Another interesting thing is that CBD has minimal abuse potential, because it doesn’t have any intoxicating effects. This is surprising to some people who are skeptical of the medicine because it comes from the same plant that many people smoke recreationally.
Rest assured, CBD is not psychoactive. THC, the other main cannabinoid found in cannabis, is highly psychoactive and is responsible for causing the high that people get when they smoke weed. CBD plays more of a modulatory effect on the herb, and strains of marijuana higher in CBD tend to have less a less intoxicating effect and more medicinal benefit.
In fact, CBD will hardly do anything if a person is in perfect health. Since its main effects come from regulating and restoring balance to the ECS, if your ECS is already in perfect balance then you won’t experience much benefit. Once the problem is managed, there is no point taking more CBD.
Many pharmaceuticals don’t have this benefit. In fact, many of the most commonly prescribed medications are dangerously addictive. Benzodiazepines and opioids, for example, are the two most common medications prescribed for anxiety and pain, respectively. Both of them carry the risk of dependence and addiction, as well as causing serious withdrawal symptoms. Many people end up on these drugs for the rest of their lives.
CBD does not cause serious dependence. One may decide to continue using CBD for the rest of their lives to help them maintain their ECS. However, if they stop using it, they will not be sent into withdrawal. In the worst case their ECS will return to the point that it was at before they began using the medication. In the best case, CBD will provide them with the proper health and opportunities that they need to find long-term solutions for their problems.
Another thing that makes CBD attractive is the relative ease with which you can use it. CBD has acute effects, which means that its benefits can be felt immediately after taking it. Some people report that CBD becomes even more potent when they continue to use it for days or weeks.
One of the best things about CBD is that it can be consumed in a number of ways. These include:
- Smoking or vaporizing. For people who need a quick hit of CBD, like people who are using it to manage anxiety and panic attacks, CBD wax and shatter can be vaporized to provide immediate benefits.
- Topically. People who need to use CBD to help manage arthritis or muscle pain can simply get a form of cream, lotion, or a CBD roll-on so they can apply the medicine directly to their skin.
- Ingested or sublingual. CBD comes in the form of tinctures and capsules which can be ingested or taken sublingually.
- Edibles and gummies. Many people find this to be the best way to consume their CBD. There are a variety of different foods, candies, and treats made with CBD that can be enjoyed without needing to pop a capsule or put oil under your tongue.
The versatility of this medication make it useful for all manner of people from different walks of life and with different problems.
What are CBD Edibles and Gummies?
CBD edibles and gummies are one of the best ways that you can consume CBD. They are generally made with tierh CBD oil or CBD isolate, which is an extracted, crystalline form of the medication.
To make an ‘edible, the oil and the isolate can simply be included in any manner of different recipes. The most common types of edibles include cookies, brownies, and chocolate bars. These are generally priced per dose, and they can get a bit expenses depending on where you’re getting them from.
CBD gummies and candies are another great option for people who like to ingest their CBD, especially for those with a sweet tooth. Again, CBD oil or isolate is included in the recipe for gummy bears or chewable candies. Some places also make lollipops and sour soothers with CBD.
CBD infused gummies and edibles can be used to treat any of the problems that people treat with other methods of taking CBD. Many people use CBD gummies for pain because it feels better than popping a pill.
The best CBD edibles will be made with organic CBD that’s extracted from hemp or cannabis without any THC left in the plant. This will provide all the maximum benefits of the medicine without any of the psychoactive effects.
Do CBD Edibles and Gummies Get You High?
In short, no.
Some people might report a feeling of relief and relaxation, especially those who use the CBD to help them manage anxiety or depression. However, this isn’t a ‘high’ in the traditional sense. A high is usually caused by a release of neurotransmitters like dopamine and adrenaline. CBD works by restoring balance to our body, which might make some people feel good as they return to a healthy equilibrium.
That said, there are some types of CBD gummies and edibles that can get you high. Many companies like to mix THC and CBD together because the medicinal qualities of THC – which are quite different than those of CBD – are often amplified when the two substances are taken together.
Most CBD gummies will be clearly labeled with their contents, and it should be no problem to determine whether or not your CBD gummies also include THC. If you have any questions, ask the retailers.
Getting CBD Gummies and Edibles
There are a number of ways that you can get CBD for medicinal use.
The easiest way to get CBD gummies is to go to your local head shop. In most places, CBD is completely legal and can be purchased without a medical card. However, some places require that you have medical certification.
Most head shops will have a variety of different CBD products. Most places have oils, capsules, and various forms of gummies and edibles for sale. They should be clearly labeled with the amount of CBD in them. You can also get CBD gummies with CBD sourced from hemp instead of cannabis.
In some areas, you can get CBD medically prescribed from a doctor. However, in this case they are more likely to prescribe you an oil or capsules.
If you don’t have any head shops in your local area, or if they require you to present a medical card that you are unable to get for some reason, you can always buy CBD edibles and gummies online. There are tons of websites that offer a wide variety of gummies, sweets, brownies, and other forms of edible CBD.
Some of these sites will also require a medical card, but many do not. Just make sure that you’ve checked with the local laws in your area to make sure that it’s okay to import CBD.
What About The Dosage For CBD Edibles?
The amount of CBD that a person uses varies greatly depending on the condition that they’re trying to treat, how intense their condition is, and what their CBD tolerance is.
Just like most other substances, when you use CBD a lot, some tolerance might develop. Tolerance to CBD does not rise as quickly or as severely as THC because of the way that it works in the body. CBD indirectly influences the cannabinoid receptors, unlike THC which directly affects them. That means that tolerance to CBD builds up quite a bit slower than tolerance to THC.
That said, a tolerance can still develop. Many people report that they need to increase their dosage after the first week or two of using CBD. However, tolerance tends to ‘max out’ after a week or two. After this, people are usually able to maintain their medical health by using a set dose of THC.
As mentioned, the dose that a person requires to feel improvements depends on their condition. The size of the person and their metabolism also has an influence. Bigger people will generally require more. Smaller people with higher metabolisms may excrete the drug faster and need to re-dose more often.
- People with anxiety generally start out with about 20 mg. People with more severe anxiety, or people hoping to stop a panic attack in its tracks might want to take higher doses of up to 100mg.
- People who are treating chronic pain might need significantly higher doses. Doses for treating pain start from around 50 mg. Some people need to take several hundred milligrams of CBD at a time to feel benefit.
- People who are using CBD to treat digestive problems may need to take anywhere between 20 and 50 mg to feel any improvements.
- People who are using CBD to manage serious conditions like epilepsy will often require higher amounts. In this case, gummies probably will not be effective since the patients often require doses between 100 and 500 mg.
- People who are treating depression may experience benefits from using as little as 20 mg.
The way that you consume your CBD also has a huge impact on the amount that you need. The different doses vary considerably.
- If you are smoking or vaporizing your CBD, then you will need a significantly lower amount. Some people report benefits from vaporizing as little as 5-10 mg. However, when vaporizing, it’s important to note that the effects will wear off a lot quicker than if you were ingesting it.
- If you’re eating a gummy, capsule or swallowing an oil, then your doses will be higher than if you were vaporizing. Oral doses tend to start at around 10-20 mg. The doses will take longer to absorb in the body, but the effects will also remain present for significantly longer.
- If you are taking your CBD sublingually (under the tongue) then you will need less than if you were taking it orally. It’s important to note that you can take CBD gummies sublingually by holding them under the tongue.
Because the compound will absorb directly into your bloodstream through the blood vessels in your tongue, it will hit you faster but won’t last as long. It’s important to note that doing this with sweets and gummies can lead to dental problems due to the sugary nature of the products.
CBD is generally considered a safe drug, and there are not a lot of precautions that one has to take when using it. However, just like with anything, there are some things to be aware of.
Taking high doses of CBD can cause a person to feel drowsy. This means that you should be careful when driving motor vehicles under the influence of CBD, if you even choose to do so at all.
As mentioned, taking CBD gummies can cause dental problems, especially if they are taken sublingually. If you have diabetes or another problem with blood sugar, you might want to find a different method of consuming CBD.
There are also a number of compounds that can interact with CBD. CBD inhibits a certain enzyme system known as the cytochrome P450 enzyme system. This enzyme is responsible for metabolizing over half of most commonly prescribed drugs, including opioids, other painkillers, antihistamines, antibiotics… the list goes on.
If your P450 enzymes are inhibited then these drugs will remain in your system for longer than usual. This can be used therapeutically, but if people are unaware of this it can lead to overdoses and excessive inebriation.
CBD is a powerful medicine that’s available in many forms, including delicious CBD gummies. Hopefully this article has provided you with enough information to safely decide whether or not you’re going to use hemp oil edibles.